Saturday, April 17, 2010

PIN PIN. Talk about needles in haystacks.



How many of these damned things are we expected to remember. And user names are not much better, although if you use your own name, you might be expected to remember that. But was that supposed to be typed with capital letters, or a space, or period, between your first name and last name?

We have all heard about keeping everything secure to avoid identity theft, credit card rip offs, and so on, but it is almost embarrassing to watch some poor, unsuspecting old person finger pecking away at an ATM machine or one of the latest version of chip reader type credit card scanners, without a care in the world about who might be looking over his or her shoulder, then watching the smile of triumph on their face when the dreaded machine accepts their PIN.

Naturally, you are not supposed to write these numbers down, and certainly not to store them on your computer or in your purse or wallet. But if you have one PIN for each of your credit cards, bank accounts, cell phones, computers, computer programs, social networking sites (and I'm quite certain you could add to this list without any further prompting from me), it can become a major problem.

On top of all that... it is recommended that you constantly change your passwords with the goal of further confusing the bad guys.

Now let's see. What is my 10 digit phone number. I do remember when I used to be able to pick up the phone, and the operator would ask for the number I wished to call - no rotary dials, push buttons or touch pads. My phone number back then was 555. If it was a long distance call, you also had to give the name of your town. Now that I could remember.

Gosh I must be getting really old.



No comments:

Post a Comment