Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mail order world.


The other day my dear wife Jean received via her computer, unsolicited I presume, a spam email suggesting that she might be interested in a mail order Russian bride.

I, on the other hand, received by snail mail, my Cabela's fishing equipment catalogue. I used to await this arrival every year with baited breath... pardon the pun. Unfortunately, since I have been forced to give up angling, because of problems related to encroaching old age, the catalogue was almost as inappropriate as Jean's email.
But I do admit to buying stuff online, especially camera stuff... although first I drive to a real store to check it out, hands on. This must drive the shop owners crazy, don't you think? Mind you, most of the major stores now have their own internet based sales programmes too. I guess its a matter of "if you can't beat them, better join them".

Anyway, I'd just love to see one of the real Cabela's stores now that I wouldn't have to buy anything there. I'm told they are absolutely ginormous. Such a visit might well have cost me a fortune in the good old days.
Then there were the good old Sears catalogues, which were so frequently made available for reading, and/or other purposes, in outhouses around North America, and perhaps in other corners of the world where I have not had the opportunity to explore such utilitarian facilities.
There are many advantages to using the internet for shopping, in addition to the instant access to news and information of all types that it provides. For instance it is incredibly simple and fast to compare prices of both products and services, although some older and less computer savvy folks may have their problems adapting to the new ways, or trusting the internet to adequately protect their identities.
Love it or hate it, that's progress... I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment