Sunday, April 18, 2010

"A good man is hard to find"



This was the first line on a birthday card that I received from my dear wife Jean to mark my 78th such milestone (or was that millstone). I admit that was rather a shock until I continued with the balance of the poem - "a time worn phrase but true, that's why I feel so fortunate, the man I found was you".

Sometimes you do have to read further than the headline! But it did rather remind me once again of the time I was struck on the head by a flying purse. (See my blog of 6th April) A different type of shock perhaps, but both resulted in the same question. What the .... have I done wrong now?

Actually, as our kids will confirm, we never argue, though we do disagree on occasion, and we had one such occasion just last week. Jean had been having a series of problems with a rather expensive product she had purchased, and as the contract had included a money back guarantee, it was returned well within its specified time limit. Unfortunately, the refund cheque did not return nearly so promptly. During several subsequent phone calls made in an effort to expedite the cheque, someone's blood pressure rose quite considerably, but eventually the cheque did arrive in the mail, to everyone' relief (I mean me).

That was not the end of the story however, as about a week later, a second item arrived in the mail from the same company - a sincere (I thought) apology card, plus a $50 gift certificate for a meal at our favourite restaurant. But guess what? That apology was not going to be accepted... and the certificate had to be returned on a matter of principle.

Kalvas - The Log House Restaurant

We disagreed, as did everyone else with whom Jean discussed the unfortunate incident (I believe).
And the outcome? We all lived happily ever after, and we had a very pleasant meal at our favourite restaurant... on my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment