Sunday, June 27, 2010

"The time has come the walrus said."


"The time has come" the Walrus said.
This quotation is from Lewis Carroll's - "Through the looking glass."
That's not so different than the title of my blog is it? "Through the rear view mirror."

The poem continues: "To speak of many things:
Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, Of cabbages and kings.
And why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings."

Since I don't have any sketches or stories about walruses, I'll have to make do with something about sea lions as a substitute. But this is a true story, not a poem or fantasy, and this is a real untouched photo, one of a sequence which I forwarded with a polite, perhaps overly polite, letter of complaint to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, shortly after witnessing the incident... which was in fact perpetrated by one of the DFO's own vessels, with three of their officers aboard, and would you believe, right in French Creek harbour in front of several individuals who were happily photographing this pod of large marine animals.

Who has the right of way? Sealions or DFO?

The only reason that I've decided to publish this episode now, is that I was anticipating a phone call, other than the preliminary 30 second acknowledgement of my letter's receipt, to review the outcome of the subsequent investigation. Regrettably that was several months ago, so I will send this off into the blogosphere to see if that might prompt a response.

Lord knows, sometimes it's not an easy matter to get the attention of a bureaucracy! That reminds me of another true story which I'll have to remember for a blog on another day soon.

And remember, your own comments are always welcome... Even with the 20 20 hindsight that my"Rear View Mirror " blog guarantees, it's hard to be right all of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment