Monday, June 21, 2010


Insanity

One definition of insanity, occasionally attributed to Albert Einstein (although I was unable to confirm this attribution) is as follows: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

Whether or not it was this great mathematician's original observation, or that of some other perspicacious individual, the world is remarkably well populated with persistent individuals who have yet to recognize the inevitability of this truism.

I actually wrote this lead in to a blog, without having any specific rant to follow it, and as I look back through my collection of pearls of wisdom, I can see quite a few where it might have been appropriate, but looking into the future with the help of my crystal ball and, of course, my rear-view mirror, I am convinced that a new one will pop up and bite me soon enough.

So for the time being, dear follower, I will just let you imagine for yourself, any appropriate story that this definition of insanity conjures up in your own mind.

Albert Einstein - (1878-1955) He of the theory of relativity fame, and also of the formula E=mc2.
At the first link you can watch a caricature of our genius actually being drawn on YouTube by Tom Richmond. Or if you prefer a Karsh photo  This link where you can you can enjoy the work of a genius in portraiture and photography.

Meantime, I'll go hunting through Google images for a (non-copyright) portrait of Albert E, while letting my own imagination run wild... perhaps about politically motivated policies that have failed time after time, and will no doubt do so again in the future, or perhaps about some alchemist's futile attempts to change base metals into gold, or the search by a mad scientist for the elixir of everlasting life.

Don't you just love rummaging around in the dark corners of your mind



No comments:

Post a Comment