Saturday, May 1, 2010

Photo opportunities

In the political world, there are some who have a special talent for being in the right place at the right time, to show their best smile for the camera. And you'd better believe that this finely honed talent is frequently aided and abetted by some of the best public relations brains that money can buy.

I, on the other hand, might be called an opportunistic photographer. I have a camera with me virtually wherever I go. Sometimes that camera may just be a compact digital model, although even that one has a 12 times optical zoom, plus most of the bells and whistles that we have come to expect in the more expensive SLRs. In an emergency I can always fall back on my iPhone and its 3 MP chip.

A completely natural pose.


Sometimes I refer to my photos of people as candid shots, but because they are rarely posed, many wind up being deleted after I've had a chance to view them on the computer. However, the occasional ones that are worth saving have a natural look that reminds me of the un-posed photographs of wildlife, that are in truth, my favourite subjects anyway. And I've certainly never been even remotely interested in photographing politicians for posterity, or for the record, or for any other political reason.

In any event, based on my many years of recording the sometimes peculiar antics of the human species, I am now totally convinced that birds, animals and even fish, make much more interesting and photogenic subjects than do their human counterparts... particularly those of the political persuasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment