Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Five Minute Rule


I don't know when I first heard of this principle, but whenever or where-ever it was, or who-ever came up with it first, I have been most thankful that I did learn to live by "the five minute rule".

This is a concept that acknowledges that it is quite impossible to remain positive at all times, no matter how strongly you believe that you should... particularly immediately following a serious setback in business or in life. The idea is that on such difficult occasions it is absolutely OK to rant, complain or otherwise vent, if that provides a form of release in the moment... but never to do so for more than five minutes before getting back on an even keel mentally, accepting the circumstances, and either challenging yourself to develop solutions to the problem, or concentrating on the next priority item in your to do list.
Only five minutes more

I have had both friends and employees wonder out loud, just how I managed so quickly to recover my equilibrium after encountering a serious set back, and on those occasions I have frequently explained my five minute rule to them, and also strongly recommended that they adopt it for themselves.

I know a few who did, and also more than a few who to their detriment were unable to do so, or unwilling to give it a try.

That is why when greeted with a: "How are you"? I will often reply: "Terrific but improving", while many other will, with very little enthusiasm, respond to the same question: "As well as can be expected".


No comments:

Post a Comment