Thursday, March 25, 2010

Nimbys vs Wandos

The red tape cutter bird

Many years ago, as the publisher of a commercial real estate magazine, I sponsored a contest to develop an acronym which would encourage an alternate, more positive attitude to that, too frequently demonstrated by the negative, selfish, I'm all right Jack, "Not In My Back Yard", NIMBYs of the world.

The winning word in that contest was "WONDO" - an abbreviation for "Work On New Development Opportunities". Undoubtedly, as you probably have never seen or heard of "Wondos" (which I rather assume to be the case) that campaign did not achieve its pretentious goals.

Now that I have more time on my hands, and access to the relatively new phenomenon of the bloggisphere to help in spreading the good word... perhaps the time has come to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment