Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Flying Fish

Photographing jumping fish requires enormous patience in addition to great reflexes.

Just imagine standing on a river bank with the camera poised and your trigger finger cocked... waiting for one of these agile acrobats to pop into view for the time necessary to locate it in the viewfinder and freeze the action.

Despite the odds, I have quite a collection of these "flying fish" photos, but since this is my first ever blog I will only post one today. It's a magnificent buck coho, probably weighing in at about 10 pounds, just jumping for joy because it has successfully navigated all the hazards in the Pacific ocean while finding its way home to its natal river, the Oyster on Vancouver Island.

I used to enjoy catching (and eating) these great fighting fish but, now I satisfy myself with recording them  in mid flight with my Panasonic FZ35. Anyone who believes that angling requires too much patience  should attempt this soul torturing past time to see what being patient really means.

Stay tuned for more flying fish.

1 comment:

  1. If you have a number of these types of photos you could always institute "Fridays Flying Fish Fotos" and post them once a week along with appropriate comments and identification.

    ReplyDelete